The Agricultural Wages Board for Northern Ireland (AWB) has confirmed changes to pay for agricultural workers.
The proposed new rates are:
* Minimum Rate, applicable for the first 40 weeks cumulative employment – £6.47 per hour.
* Grade 2 – Standard worker – £6.77 per hour
* Grade 3 – Lead worker – £7.44 per hour
* Grade 4 – Craft Grade – £7.99 per hour
* Grade 5 – Supervisory Grade – £8.46 per hour
* Grade 6 – Farm Management Grade – £9.16 per hour
The operative date for the new rates is 6 April 2014 and these are specified in the Board’s Order No 94. Copies of the Order will be available shortly.
Where at any time the National Minimum Wage becomes higher than the hourly rate set out above, then the minimum rate shall be equal to the National Minimum Wage. The National Minimum Wage will rise to £6.50 per hour from 1 October 2014, which is higher than the AWB Minimum Rate; therefore the Grade 1 Minimum Rate for agricultural workers will increase to £6.50 per hour from 1 October 2014.
The definitions for the grades and the qualifications required for each grade are available on:
or by contacting the Agricultural Wages Secretariat, Room 910, Dundonald House, Upper Newtownards Road, Ballymiscaw, Belfast BT4 3SB (Tel: 028 9052 4872).