* The Seconds footballers came unstuck against neighbours and rivals Bryansford on Sunday when they went down by the narrowest of margins in what was a tight contest. The lads will know that they didn’t play particularly well and in games like these you have to defend well and not concede slack scores. Still it was a usual uncompromising local derby. It is games like this you want to play in.
* Well Saturday night saw the finally of the Activ8 winter/spring activities. What a night of dodgy dancing, cheating in the quiz, people claiming they had won everything and some people (well actually one person!) not know if they were from The Town or Kilcoo! But enough about you Sharon! On a more serious note throughout the 6 weeks plus from Ash Wednesday through to Easter Sunday there were something like 250 different activities from morning walks, tag rugby, basketball to climbing Slieve Donard.
There was something from everyone. Chairman Kevin Sweeney in his comments to those assembled in the club on Saturday night stated that Activ8 was designed to involve those in leisure and social activity and most of all to show that our club is open to all the community and that the facilities are there to be used.
There being are so many people to thank it is impossible to list them all here. The biggest thank you of all goes to Ronan King who adopted this idea and has organised the events professionally the last two years. For this he deserves much of the credit. Thank you to all those who participated in the programme and we hope to see you all here again next year but we hope we see you all around the club before then!
* Outdoor juvenile coaching programme will continue in St Malachy’s Park every Saturday. Please bring both indoor and outdoor shoes as coaching will be inside if it rains. All new and existing members are welcome.10.00am – 10.45am St Malachy’s Park – Nursery, P1 and P2 Hurling and Camogie, P3 – P7 Camogie. 10.45am – 11.30am St Malachy’s Park – Nursery, P1 and P2 Boys Football & Girls Football and P3 to P7 Girls football.
All parents are welcome and are encouraged to get involved. There will be tea and coffee in the club from 10.00am to 11.30am on the Saturday mornings.
* A final reminder that applications forms for Gaeltachta Scholarship 2014 are now available either in our clubrooms or by emailing [email protected]
Please note all applications must be returned to the County Office before the closing date of Wednesday 30 April at 5pm. Any applications submitted after this date and time will not be considered.
* Under 10 & Under-12 hurling training continues on Monday evenings at 5.45pm.
* The Senior footballers have organised a Garth Brooks Tribute Night in the club this Saturday night 3rd May 2013. Get your tickets from any of our senior players. They have been selling tickets for a draw for two pairs of Garth Brook tickets which are popular to say the least.
As reported last week there was a threat from Barney Cunningham along with Brian Dougherty to sing on the night. That threat has now been lifted, thank you Lorna for having a wee word! The Doc definitely won’t (can’t) sing on his own. As stated last week this will be a great night. For those of you who were mad enough to camp out for the Croke Park event, come along and get a first class taster of what you will enjoy this summer.
* A reminder that our Golf Classic will take place on Friday, 23 May 2014 in Downpatrick Golf Club. The price is £100 for a Four Ball which also includes a meal back at the club plus a few fun extras. Please contact Kevin Sweeney, Ronan King or Niall McArdle for details of the competition.