Wednesday 21 March 2018 02:19:42 PM

Ballynahinch United Weekly Notes
More Storms Ahead For Dundrum Sea Wall September 12, 2011| Posted by | Comment on More Storms Ahead For Dundrum Sea Wall Comment

Ballynahinch United 2  Bryansburn Rangers 1

United entertained Bryansburn Rangers at Millbridge on Saturday last hoping to get their season up and running after a poor start.

Despite the recent set backs the squad have been working hard in training to get things right and on Saturday they got their reward.

The opening stages of the game were even although United had a determined look about them with Johnny Hunter and Ian Boal prominent in midfield providing a decent supply to front runners Ian McMullan and Scot McKibbin.

It was the two central midfielders who would score the opening goals the first of United’s campaign.

Johnny Hunter struck after 10 minutes when he fired home from the edge of the penalty area and ten minutes later Ian Boal stepped up to the penalty spot to send the Bryansburn keeper the wrong way. The visitors stepped up a gear at this stage and got back into the game on the half hour mark and for the remainder of the half the United rearguard of Bryan McMullan, Patterson, Hayes, Brashaw and Dickson had to endure some anxious moments.

The second half was very much a stalemate and as Bryansburn pushed for the equaliser they were well contained by a determined home side who created quite a few chances as they left themselves open to the counter attacks spearheaded by Herron, Stuart McMullan and Carlisle.

This was a timely boost for United as they travel to Premier Division side Comber Rec. in the 1st Round of the Irish Cup a game that has a 1.30pm kick off at Park Way.

Woodvale II’s 7 v Ballynahinch United II’s 2

The Swifts travelled to the Clarendon Sports Centre to take on one of the favourites for this years Division 3D league title.

The team showing quite a few changes from the previous weeks line up never really turned up in the first half and found themselves 5 – 0 down however in the second half it was a completely different story and they dominated possession for long periods and got two goals back by the 80th minute.

Their first goal came after 55 minutes when Alan Massey weaved his way past two defenders to chip the ball over the goal keeper and as a defender rose to clear the ball off the line in dived Chris Gray to head home.

On the hour mark it was 5 – 2 when persistence from Massey and Gray led to the Woodvale keeper pulling off an excellent save however he could not hold the ball and Adam Greer who had a superb game tapped the ball into the empty net.

It would be fair to say that Woodvale were rattled at this stage and the Swifts should have taken more advantage of the possession they had however this was not to be and invariably they left themselves vulnerable to the counter attack to concede two very late goals.

Club News

The new club track suits have been received and are now with the embroiderers and are expected to be available with the next couple of weeks. All those who have ordered should pay as soon as possible and those who haven’t still have a chance of purchase.