Monday 18 June 2018 04:07:14 PM

Ardglass Win Through Into Senior Cup Semi-Finals
More Storms Ahead For Dundrum Sea Wall July 3, 2011| Posted by | Comment on More Storms Ahead For Dundrum Sea Wall Comment

ON a sun-kissed Ardglass Golf Course with a slight puff of wind, four teams played off in the quarter finals of the Senior Cup – Ardglass, Knock, Clandeboye and Belvior. Ardglass were paired off with Knock and it was Daniel Vaughn who tee-ed up for Ardglass first.

John Moore, Senior Cup manager, said Daniel had played “the best shot he had ever seen on the course. It was incredible. He was one down going into the eighteenth and drove to the bunker at the edge of the green, then played his next shot with a sand iron. He holed it to save his match drawing with his Knock opponent. They then had to play up the first hole and Daniel battled on and won his match on the third hole. A great fight back which saved the day.”

Ciaran Fitzsimons, left, kept his cool to win on the eighteenth green at Ardglass Golf Club against Clandeboye putting his team into the semi-final of the Senior Cup.

Ciaran Fitzsimons and Cormac Sharvin also won their matches and Gary Hamill and John Feenan  lost out to stiff opposition.

After lunch, Clandeboye proved to be a strong side and John Moore said he was “under no illusions about the strength of the opposition.” It was a nervous afternoon for him as his first two matches with Raymond Madine and Gary Hamill were lost and being two games down with three to play was a difficult place to be for the seasiders.

In the afternoon duel, Raymond Madine had replaced John Feenan, but he too lost out in a close fought match.

However, Ardglass clawed their way out of the jaws of possible defeat when the three matches unfolded on the 17th hole. It was Daniel Vaughn first to win his match being one up going into the seventeenth. He hit a long straight drive splitting the fairway and pitched well to the green. Then Cormac Sharvin also one up won his match well on the 17th after his opponent bunkered and took a bogey.

With the play all square at 2-2, all eyes were on the last duel as Ciaran Fitzsimons, who was two up going into on the sixteenth, lost that one, and drew the seventeenth. It was all on the last hole which he had to at least half to win his match and send Ardglass to the semi-final. His opponent drove through the middle of the green and Ciaran was short playing onto the green for a safe par which was enough to take Ardglass into the next round to be played at Castlerock on August Sunday 21st.